Our Commitment to Sustainability
As an American-made and family-owned company, we’re committed to the well-being of our customers, our team, our community, and the environment. We take concrete steps in transportation, water usage, power generation, lighting design, tooling, and materials to help safeguard the land and its people for generations to come.
We are privileged to work with quartz, a unique and precious resource. This drives our sustainability efforts—informing our processes, infusing our products, and shaping our environmental and community stewardship.
Beginning in our company-owned mine and continuing through processing, we employ sustainable best practices in our operations and encourage our partners to do the same.
Credentials and certifications
We thrive when our customers are safe, our employees are healthy, our communities are resilient, our practices are sustainable, and our environment is conserved. Certifications demonstrate our commitment to these values.
We strive to provide relevant, objective product information. Cambria uses a Declare® label, and we are listed in the Health Product Declaration (HPD) v2.1 Public Repository.
LEARN ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS
What you do every day indicates your deepest values. Our commitment to the environment shows in everything we do, from choosing eco-friendly shipping materials to watering our grounds from a drainage pond to taking care of our equipment to reusing our scrap.
- Mining quartz particles through crushed stone (versus extracting full slabs from the earth) leaves a smaller, greener footprint.
- To minimize disruption to the environment, mining sites are backfilled and the land is restored after the quartz is extracted.
- Our commitment to American made, including a domestic supply chain, means a limited carbon footprint and on demand inventory.
- To transfer raw material to our warehouse, we use rail and minimize the use of trucks.
- Through a series of advanced settling and filtering techniques, we recycle 100% of the water used for production in Cambria’s processing and fabrication facilities, saving an estimated 1.6 billion gallons annually.
- An on-site storm drainage pond provides water for the grounds of the processing facility. The pond is replenished by runoff from the grounds, parking lot drains, and an on-site well.
- 100% of the power used at the mine is hydroelectric.
- All diamond-metal tooling is refurbished and reused. Each diamond-metal tool has a lifespan of approximately 2,000 lineal feet. At that point, Cambria refurbishes and restores the tool for use on another 2,000 lineal feet. This process is repeated up to seven times to prolong the tool’s usable life.
- By evaluating prework and investing in technology, we minimize slab rework. To produce the highest quality product, we invest heavily in quality control, including state-of-the-art technological support. This naturally minimizes rework.
- Located in close proximity to our manufacturing facilities, a crushing facility processes any unused Cambria for reuse. Some of this crushed material can be reused in Cambria slabs and Life + Style retail products such as bookends and coasters. The remainder is repurposed for community road materials and other construction needs. We also repurpose 100% of palette wood used.
- True sustainability requires an ongoing effort to evaluate the impact of our decisions and identify opportunities for improvement. This effort drives our innovations.
Our commitment to sustainability is also reflected in our products. We strive to minimize their impact on the environment, to be transparent about the ingredients used, and to create a product that will last a lifetime.
- Mining in the way we do allows us to extract the highest quality raw materials to use in our slabs, while minimizing the impact on the environment.
- The Declare label, developed by the International Living Future Institute, indicates that we voluntarily disclose where our products come from, what they are made of, and where they go at the end of their life.
- Cambria natural quartz is included in the mindful MATERIALS Library. The library compiles product sustainability information which helps industry professionals make informed purchase decisions.
REFURBISHED AND RECYCLED MATERIALS
- Cambria is committed to sustainability and offers products with recycled content comprised of reused Cambria natural quartz slabs, pigments, and binders. Specific Cambria products contain pre-consumer recycled content certified by SCS Global Services. Please refer to individual designs for content.
For Cambria, protecting the environment is second nature. In 2018, Cambria acquired its own quartz mine, which yields some of the highest-quality quartz found on Earth. The mine possesses a quartz supply sustainable for hundreds of years.
By mining quartz particles through crushed stone, versus extracting full slabs from the Earth, Cambria is able to leave a smaller, greener footprint, because it allows for a better yield per extraction and has less waste. And, to minimize disruption to the environment, mining sites are backfilled and the land restored after the quartz is extracted.
Ownership of the mine ensures Cambria’s continuous access to some of the purest-quality quartz with a rare level of depth and clarity. Cambria is now in full control of every step of the process, including meticulous quartz procurement, inspection, and quality checks at the mine itself. The newfound opportunity to handpick the perfect quartz at the mine will influence the innovation seen in future Cambria designs.
Cambria takes pride in ensuring responsible environmental stewardship of this unique resource.
Yes, all Cambria designs meet NSF 51 Food Zone Compliance. Being NSF certified for all three areas including food zones, splash zones, and nonfood zones means there can be direct contact with food.
Descriptions of zones:
- Food zones are areas with direct or indirect contact with consumable food or where condensation may contact and then drain, drip, or splash back into food or food contact surfaces. Materials certified for use in a food zone are also suitable for use in splash and nonfood zones.
- Splash zones are areas that are exposed to routine soiling from splashes and spills but are not surfaces intended for contact with consumable food. Materials certified for splash zones are not certified for use in food zones.
- Nonfood zones are areas that are not exposed to food or splashes but may be subject to some minor dirt or debris.
All Cambria quartz surfaces are nonporous and nonabsorbent of moisture and food materials, which can harbor harmful bacteria; are scratch and stain resistant; and are maintenance free, simply requiring only warm water and mild soap to clean. LEARN MORE ABOUT NSF.
Cambria led the industry by being one of the first in the category to use a Declare label for its products. Declare is a voluntary self-disclosure program that aims to transform the building materials industry toward healthier products through ingredient transparency. The Declare label indicates that we voluntarily disclose where our products come from, what they are made of, and where they go at the end of their lives.
Yes, Cambria is compliant with the International Living Future Institute’s Living Building Challenge (LBC), a green building certification program and sustainable design framework that visualizes the ideal for the built environment.
As the world’s most rigorous proven performance standard for buildings, LBC buildings give more than they take, creating a positive impact on the human and natural systems that interact with them. Our LBC compliance affirms that we do not use heavy metals.
Cambria proudly participates in mindful MATERIALS, a design industry initiative that provides a free common platform for manufacturers to clearly communicate transparency and sustainability information for their building products. It offers aggregated information on human health and environmental impacts for products from leading manufacturers, vetted by experts passionate about making it easier to make informed product choices.
View Cambria in the mindful MATERIALS Library here.
No. Cambria’s adhesives for setting seams in countertops are GREENGUARD approved.
Headquartered in Le Sueur, Minnesota, Cambria owns and operates 32 facilities, including a state-of-the-art one-million-square-foot processing facility; fabrication and distribution centers; and Cambria galleries, which are open to the public.
Cambria prides itself on being the leading American-made, family-owned producer of natural quartz surfaces.
- Through a series of advanced settling and filtering techniques, we recycle 100% of the water used for production in Cambria’s processing plant and fabrication facilities, saving an estimated 1.6 billion gallons annually.
- An on-site storm drainage pond provides water to the grounds of the processing facility. The pond is replenished by runoff from the grounds, parking lot drains, and an on-site well.
- 100% of the power used at the mine is hydroelectric
- All diamond-metal tooling is refurbished and reused. Each diamond-metal tool has a lifespan of approximately 2,000 lineal feet. At that point, Cambria refurbishes and restores the tool for use on another 2,000 lineal feet. This process is repeated up to seven times to stretch the tool’s usability.
- By thinking through prework and investing in technology, we minimize slab rework. To produce the highest quality product, we invest heavily in quality control, including state-of-the-art technological support. This naturally minimizes rework.
Cambria qualifies for one LEED point in the Indoor Environmental Quality: Low Emitting Materials category, which means Cambria reduces the quantity of indoor air contaminants that are odorous, potentially irritating, and/or harmful to the comfort and well-being of installers and occupants.
LEARN MORE about the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and the LEED program.
Cambria is committed to sustainability and offers products with recycled content comprised of reused Cambria natural quartz slabs, pigments, and binders. Specific products contain pre-consumer recycled content certified by SCS Global Services. Please refer to individual designs for content.