Editor’s Take: Modern Farmhouse
Combining rustic and industrial with a dash of simplicity, this aesthetic spans the best of all worlds. Our Editor-in-Chief LouAnn Haaf explains the elements that make the style
TO ME MODERN FARMHOUSE IS THE PERECT MASH-UP OF FUNCTIONALITY AND STYLE. —LOUANN HAAF
THE BOHEMIAN IN ME LOVES TO WARM UP A ROOM WITH RICHLY COLORED VINTAGE RUGS AND ACCESSORIES.– LOUANN HAAF
A farmhouse sink, also known as a butler sink or apron-front sink, is nostalgic but also practical and ergonomic (you don’t have to lean so far forward). White ceramic is classic but don’t discount the other options like copper and stainless steel. The latter provides not only an updated farmhouse feel, but the durability and forgiveness needed in a bustling kitchen.
The Bohemian in me loves to warm up a room with richly colored vintage rugs. Persian kilims, overdyed dhurries, shaggy Moroccan rugs, and ikat rugs will all offer a much welcome dose of vibrancy. Just choose your favorite! Etsy and eBay are good places to start the search.
GET THE LOOK
"Steal the style with some of my favorite rustic-refined finds." —Louann Haaf
- Barn light with gooseneck arm by RecessoLighting, $120, destinationlighting.com.
- Paulownia wood vases by Magnolia, $8–$12, magnolia.com.
- Natural rattan bar stool by Bloomingville, $372, bellacor.com.
- Small jute floor basket with charcoal stripe by the Dharma Door, $120, onekingslane.com.
- Adair hand-knotted rug by Rejuvenation, from $499, rejuvenation.com.
- Farmer table by 57st. Design, from $1,690, 57stdesign.com.
- Leather pillow cover with linen back by Rejuvenation, $199, rejuvenation.com.
- Costa Allegra Rhombus tile by Bedrosians, $6.50 per square foot, bedrosians.com.
- Vero 753LF-CZ faucet in champagne bronze by Delta Faucet, $720, deltafaucet.com.